Friday, May 8, 2009

being a foreigner listening to pearl jam


Two stories today that will make sense in the end, I promise. I walked the dogs in the morning today, like every day. I decided to listen to Pearl Jam, the No Code album, which I really like. Sometimes I don't quite understand Eddie Vedder's lyrics though because he has a f... potato in his mouth. This time it sounded like something I want to have printed on a T shirt, I will get back to that later. A couple of years ago a friend of mine told me that she was approached by a girl in the climbing gym about this boulder problem she did. The girl told her how cool it was that she could send that problem and asked her how she can stick that funky move. My friends response: "Because I am better than you". I think that's just wrong. I know that climbing is such an ego boost when you get better and if you have a project for a long time after you send it you feel just great, like you can do anything. But I think it really is all just for yourself, not to be better than other people, just better than you were before. So back to Pearl Jam, the line he sung I still don't know but to me it sounded like "come to send, not condescend".

1 comment:

Jon Speare said...

Deep down she must be pretty insecure. I feel sorry for her. Maybe she should consult Stewart Smalley (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuart_Smalley).